BF90 1998 trying to find neutral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF90 1998 trying to find neutral

Maybe someone has an ideal. Dropped the lower unit to replace the Impeller.
    By turning the shift shaft and prop clockwise I have not been able to find neutral. I know the 98's are a bit different/ This engine has always been great. Could it be that the shift cam dropped off?

Thanks for your help
    Chuck

If you removed the shift shaft from gearcase then shift cam may have moved out of place, but shouldn't have had to remove shift shaft to replace water pump.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Honda Outboard Parts

Comment

neutral

No I didn't remove the shift shaft. Just trying to find neutral. Put the lower end back after changing the water pump. Started, and the prop was turning. Took it off again and just can't find neutral. Can't get the prop to go free. Wondering if something could have broke. I was told the 1998 honda has a merc lowerend. So don't know if there could have been a pin that broke or if it has one on the shaft.
      Thanks

Comment

If you turn shift shaft on gearcase and it wont go into neutral then something is broke inside gearcase and would have to taken apart to find problem.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Honda Outboard Parts

Comment

shift shaft problem

The only thing I can think of, which would still require the same action as suggested of taking apart the gearcase to realign the cam, is that the C-clip broke that keeps the shift shaft from lifting up and the shift shaft did lift up a little and the cam sprang out of alignment. Was the shift shaft turning freely around and around when you took the lower unit off again, suggesting it had popped up off the cam? Be curious to know what you figured out. I've gotten to know these Honda/Merc 96-98 lower units intimately as of late.

Comment

Shift shaft alignment

I'm having the same issue with getting the shift shaft aligned properly when I slide the lower unit up and bolt it on place I sometimes seem to miss connection all together. I made the mistake of taking the prop drive shaft out and the shifting pin ball bearings fell out. I didn't realize it at first and am not sure if they are in the gears. I was able to fish one Bering out with a small magnet but can not find the other two. Is there a trick to getting the shift shaft aligned?

Comment

Working...
            X