bf 135 tachometer fluxuating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bf 135 tachometer fluxuating

I have twin 2005 bf-135`s on my boat. Last year the 1/8" water pressure reference line on one of the engines had a split in it and it poured salt water into my altenator. The altenator was beyond fixing so I replaced it. Since than the tachometer has been fluxuating from working correctly to drifting from 1000 to 5,000 rpm`s when I'm at idle. It also acts up under load at other rpm ranges as well. The engine runs and sounds fine. Any ideas where I can begin to look ? Thanks Harry

Thats usually a bad tach, you can monitor the AC voltage at gray wire at back of tach to see if signal voltage is constant.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Honda Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks, I will do this next week after I pick the boat up from winter storage and advise. However, I do have a followup question before I try that. When I monitor ac voltage of gray wire, what should voltage range be, and which color wire is the common, or are there only two wires ?

thanks,

Harry

Comment

Check between gray wire and black wire, you are looking for voltage to increase as rpm's increase but remain steady with rpm's.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Honda Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X