Need to convert BFP8D from tiller to remote

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to convert BFP8D from tiller to remote

I have searched several sites and called even more places and this is my last ditch effort. I have a BFP8D tiller motor. I desperately need to convert it to a allow the use of remote controls. The motor is used for trolling and is mounted on the extended transom ( or offshore bracket) next to the main motor. I have an autopilot which allows me to control the speed and turning from within the confines of the boat. Now, when I need to shift from Neutral to FWD or REV, I have to lean over the transom to reach the lever. There is nothing like taking a big wave in the face while trying to do this.
    I love the motor and would rather not have to replace the whole thing. No one has been able to direct me to a package or part numbers that would allow me to convert this to a remote.
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.
    -Dale

Unfortunately there are no kits available, you would have to buy parts individually.
    From diagram you would need number 3-8, 14(order 2),15(order 2),21,31,35(order 2),38(order 2) and use 44 inplace of 32 and 34.
    Honda Outboard Parts 2004 BFP8D4 LRTA OUTBOARD ENGINE, JPN, VIN# BAAJ-1300001 SHIFT SHAFT (REMOTE SPECIFICATION) Diagram
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Honda Outboard Parts

Comment

Thanks! This is exactly what I was hoping for. I just placed the order. Is there any way to get a bigger version of the exploded picture you showed the parts in?

Comment

You can put pointer on zoom in button to enlarge it and right click inside picture and click on print picture.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Honda Outboard Parts

Comment

What about items 9 and 43, would I need those also?

Comment

Yes you do, glad you caught that.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Honda Outboard Parts

Comment

Now that I have those parts on order from you, I need to add the remote control. Since I'm going through the trouble I might as well make it remote start/tilt too. From what I can tell, the remote I need is 24800-ZY1-872. This says it comes with a 16ft harness. Is there another part to this that I need to plug in to the engine wiring? How would I get a longer harness?

Thanks in advance,
              -Dale

Comment

It looks like you would need to change the harness on engine to 32100-ZW9-650 so that the control wiring harness will plug into engine harness. A 7ft extension harness 32570-ZY1-000AH is available for extending control harness.
                Regards
                Boats.net
                Honda Outboard Parts

Comment

I was looking on the site for the control cable that go the remote. It lists two, I know the remote uses 2, one for shifting and one for throttle. What is the difference between the two different part numbers:
                  24920-ZY3-003
                  24926-ZW7-U01

Thanks, Dale

Comment

24920-ZY3-003 is the standard cables
                    24926-ZW7-U01 is the supreme cables, better to use if cable has to make tight bends.
                    Regards
                    Boats.net
                    Honda Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
                    X