Honda won't run with top on

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda won't run with top on

I recently got a B100s 9.9 Honda outboard. It will run great with the top off, but gets rough and eventually cuts off with the top on...

Any suggestions, diagnostic ideas?

Thanks,
    Sharkbait

u got a bad exhaust leak
    these are know for it

Comment

You're right. I grabbed a penlight last night and there is a large hole (about the size of a dime) on the exaust pipe that comes off the engine. I have the part and gasket on order now, along with the service manual. Any other advice on replacing this part is welcome, as it will be my first time doing this.

Also, my VIN# is 1400301 and I am wondering if this is a pre or post 1988 model? I have read that the BF100's before 1988 are actually 8HP models (rated at the prop) and cannot be modified for higher HP. The ones after 1988 are actually able to put out 13.2 HP at the prop by taking off some screw near the carb. Anyone have anymore info on that? Recommmended or not?

Thanks,
      Sharkbait

Comment

powerhead needs to be pulled
        i hop u ordered the factory manual

Comment

I ordered the seloc manual. It really doesn't have any instructions on this procedure. It has only one picture, and from looking at that, it definitely looks like I need to take off the Powerhead. I guess this is a bummer? I'll order the gasket, but where do I get a "factory manual" ?

My uncle will be helping me with this BTW. He has rebuilt many machines, from VW's to caddies to many small enigines. I feel confident that we can do a good job, but please, any suggestions from someone with experience is greatly appreciated.

Thanks just-in-time!

Sharkbait

Comment

***, the bolts to the exhaust are so nasty that they broke off (2 of them still in the casing), my uncle can bail me out as he has a machine shop to fix this, but I can see why nobody wants an old Honda with an exhaust problem. The muffler is a beast to get to and then a beast to get out.

While he is doing that, I'll be ordering the 50 other parts I am gonna fix up, but I would still love to know where and how to get a "Factory manual"..

Bueller...Bueller??? Anyone??

Thanks,

Sharkbait

Comment

from honda
              if they say know i can run one off for u

Comment

J.I.T. -

Running one off would be great, or I don't mind getting it from Honda. (Esp. if you gotta snail-mail it, USPS) It's just that the Honda webpage in not that helpful in this department, I will email them and see what happens.

Could you put it in a PDF format and email it?

Thanks again!

Sharkbait

(BTW - gearcase/powerhead is off and the swivelcase is looking pretty with the new paint job. I will be painting the lower unit and handle/clamp over the w/e and the parts should be coming in to finish up the job. I would still like to get the Factory Manual either way.)

I'll throw a pic up here when done.

Comment

http://www.helminc.com/helm/Result.a...FLDAUDNGXH9995

Comment

Thanks Guys, runs great!!!

- Sharkbait

Comment

do you want me to run a copy off??

Comment

No thanks, I ordered one from the link you sent me.

Thanks,

Sharkbait

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkbait View Post
                          No thanks, I ordered one from the link you sent me.

Thanks,

Sharkbait

cool good deal

Comment

Working...
                          X