Replacing anodes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing anodes

Last weekend, I removed the 1 nut that holds the anode to 1 side of my motor. I expected the anode to easily pop off, but it didn't. I tapped it lightly a few times with a hammer as well as tried to pry it loose with a flat head screw driver, but couldn't get it to even budge. What gives?

Part number is 41109-ZW1-B00.

May be corroded in, should come with a little prying.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Honda Outboard Parts

Comment

Other anodes?

What other anodes are on the engine that need to be replaced? I've already replaced the 2 transome tab anodes and I will check the transome bracket soon. Are there others that I'm missing? Are there prop anodes available for my Hondas? Are they necessary?

Comment

That is main ones, no other one needed for lower unit.
        Some model motors have anodes in engine block.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Honda Outboard Parts

Comment

Finally replaced my anodes

We finally had a decent weekend where we stayed on the boat at the dock for the whole weekend, so I could finally work on some of my projects.

Here's a video I took of the anode job.
          Changing anodes on 2005 Honda BF90 - YouTube

The camera doesn't show just how bad of shape the anodes were in that I removed from the boat. I'll have to keep an eye on my new ones to see how quickly they wilt away, since they're magnesium. Despite being heavily corroded, the zinc anodes were still heavier than the new magnesium anodes, which is how I know the originals were zinc.......and they were original.

Comment

There are also 2 small sacrafical anodes in the water passages of the engine block

Originally posted by boats.net View Post
            That is main ones, no other one needed for lower unit.
            Some model motors have anodes in engine block.
            I have a Honda Marine Outboard Motor BF150A.

My question is: How often does one need to check these 2 anodes which are found inside the top cover on the engine block??

My mechanic suggested that we have replacement parts before we open the compartments just in case the protective 'O' ring has been damaged.

My motor is 5 years old but still runs and looks like brand new. I have changed the other anodes that are visible (exterior) but there is no reference in the Owner's Manual or Service Workshop and Repair Manual about how often these should be inspected and when they are expected to be replaced.

Any experiences on on these anodes please?
            Attached Files

Comment

Working...
            X