Buy Honda Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help! Running on 2 cylinders, Is it a Carburetor issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help! Running on 2 cylinders, Is it a Carburetor issue?

Hi I have a honda BF90A that is only running on 2 cylinders from what I can tell. It has trouble starting, and also has a difficult time staying running in Idle. I have removed spark plug wires 1 at a time from each plug and determined that only the bottom 2 cylinders are working. Top 2 can be pulled off with no effect. I have changed to brand new NGK spark plugs and checked for a good spark out of all plugs while removed and grounded to engine. Most of what I read online points to clogged Carburetors for those top 2 cylinders needing cleaned. Is that a good assumption? And how difficult is it to do myself?

Sounds like carb problem, need to remove and clean carbs and resync.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Honda Outboard Parts

Comment

Is this something I can do myself? What is involved in synchronizing the carbs? If a manual is suggested, do you know where I can get one?

Comment

Does require special tools to synchronize carbs.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Honda Outboard Parts

Comment

Okay,

So here is what I have done and where I am at. I believe I rebuilt my carbs for no good reason. They were very clean except for one that had a little bit of gum in the jets. Replaced all gaskets bought from this website.

Before doing that I sprayed a little carb cleaner through the air intakes of the 2 carbs I suspected of having trouble. This would immediately increase rpm's

And before doing all this I replaced fuel water separator filter, and in-line fuel filter. So after cleaning carbs I was suspicious of another issue because of how clean they looked.

I had trouble starting, took forever, finally started, but ran very difficult.

Then.......I thought about taking off fuel lines going to each carb to check for fuel pressure, while running. My top fuel pump had NO fuel coming out of either port, my bottom fuel pump was intermittently pumping fuel from each port. So I manually poured gas into each fuel line of top two carbs and it started running very well! But only for 10 to 20 seconds.

So my questions now are...
          Should fuel be pumping strongly and flowing out of each port on fuel pumps while running??
          And is that why when I manually add gas that I get a few seconds of good running?
          And if so is this an obvious fuel pump failure or caused by something else maybe?

Comment

Yes need to replace that fuel pump.
            Regards
            Boats.net
            Honda Outboard Parts

Comment

Well I did some further testing and fuond I wasn't getting hardly any fuel at all from my fuel line feeding into the motor. In between the motor and my water separator filter the fuel line was completely clogged.

Lesson learned, check all the small stuff first before spending a bunch of money and time working on the bigger stuff. At least now I know my entire fuel system in in tip top shape for the year.

Comment

Working...
              X