Should I bore and sleeve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I bore and sleeve?

It's a long story, but the short end is that I got burned on a used Honda bf90 that only ran three times for me. Dealer says that motor was run without a thermostat, causing excessive wear through rusting. According to the dealer, Cylinder bore is considered "out of tolerance" for a rebuild by the dealer, necessitating a new powerhead. Took the block to a local machinist for a second opinion and he mic'ed the bore. Service manual says service limit is 2.9549 inches. Mic'ed at 2.95.

Option 1: bore and sleeve the cylinders. Reassemble motor with new gaskets and wear parts.
    Option 2what the machinist recommended) replace the rings and put it back together with new gaskets, etc.
    Option 3what I am trying to avoid because of obvious cost) replace the power head with new or remanufactured power head.

Which is the best option for rebuilding on a budget?

Another question: are the head gaskets for this engine thee three-ply metal or are they asbestos?

Thanks for any advice!

I would bore cylinder oversize with new piston and rings. Has a metal head gasket.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Honda Outboard Parts

Comment

"Bore oversize"? What diameter? And then add sleeves? Also, why new pistons? Is something wrong with the ones I have or is it that I am purchasing new sizes for a wider diameter cylinder?

Comment

Not sure exact model you have but most models a .025mm oversize piston is available, look at parts catalog to see what is available. If it will clean up at size of oversize piston wont have to resleave.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Honda Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X