bought an older 8hp will not idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bought an older 8hp will not idle

I just bought this motor and it has been sitting a while, it will not idle it just dies, i think it has an air leak i have changed the carb gasket and took apart the carb main jet pilot jet and cleaned everything and blew out with shop air, it seems to be leaking somewhere by the head gasket? Any help appreciated, also cant figure out what year bacl 1100s47 thanks

Hi there, I believe your motor is about a 1988 judging by the number you supplied.
    The carburetor is the most likely suspect here. It could be an air leak, but that is not common, most common cause of not idling well is a plugged carb. The main jet is important for off-idle, but the idle circuit is the most critical for idling. There is a low-speed mixture screw, you might try fiddling with that before you tear apart the carb again. Also, when you had the carb apart, you may have noticed that when the butterfly valve is closed all the way, you will see some very **** holes on one side of it, these are the holes that supply fuel for idling! Try to ****** some brake cleaner or carb cleaner toward those holes , then try to get an air nozzle up next to them and **** like heck.
    Good luck!

Comment

ok i will look at them little holes. Thank you.

Comment

Thanks hondajohn, runs like brand new

Comment

Originally posted by mwcoleman View Post
          Thanks hondajohn, runs like brand new
          Very good. Glad I could help.

Comment

Working...
          X