Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Float valve must be sticking? Defective part?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Float valve must be sticking? Defective part?

This is a 1.5 year old 8hp electric start with less than 60 hours on it. Various mechanics - including my loser dealer - have freed up a sticking float valve by tapping on the carb or starter fluid. I SAY ITS A DEFECTIVE PART, UNDER WARRANTY - but they say it must something in the fuel. I baby this engine and fuel - NEVER a drop of ethanol fuel and get this. Two fuel filters and a water separator they installed. I have used carb cleaner once in the fuel and their mechanic added some.

When the HOnda mechanic got it going last year - I had to tap the carb the next two times I tried - LATER THAT DAY. Then it was stored for the summer. Then I had the carb removed and cleaned for launching earlier this month. After 4 hours it didnt start again - yesterday AFTER RUNNING FOR AN HOUR AT ALMOST FULL SPEED - and then off for 20 minutes. I had to use starter fluid. Then this morning I had to tap on the carb and it started instantly.

I am at wits end and dont know what to do.I have owned many outboards around this size and never babied any as much as this one and had NO problems. I want a new carb and think the dealer should just do it. They have been pricks so far telling me THEY have to decide its a defect in materials and THEN send it to Honda to see if they agree.

My option is to use a very expert factory trained (Mercury) outboard mechanic to replace it - the guy who cleaned it. THIS IS A BAD FLOAT VALVE from the start, PERIOD - do people agree??

You don't have to replace the entire carb. Just open and see if there is any residue that causes the float to stick. A normal ultrasonic clean should remove all the residue. Otherwise use a carb rebuild set. all the small parts are replaced then.

Every mechanic can do this simple repair.

Comment

float valve ok - now different problem

First of all, I dont see now how to start a new post??? Also I need to know where to find the fuse case on this HOnda 8 hp 2016 4 stroke. I can only see some of the motor from the transom of my sailboat and hate to have to get my dingy out. Thanks anyone to either - over all I find this site pretty bad in terms of doing things

Comment

There is a "New Thread" Red button on home page just click on that to start a new thread.
        The Fuse is next to positive battery post on engine, just follow battery cable to starter relay and fuse is next to it.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Honda Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
        X