Control cable connections

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Control cable connections

I take care of three 15hp long shaft Hondas. The motors are about two years old. We have a problem with where the shift and throttle cables attach inside the motor. There are these stainless clips that lock the control cable connector on to the motor. These clips like to come off on their own and disappear down inside of the motor. Can anybody shed light on why this is happening and give me a solutions.

Check to see if linkage is binding or if cables are out of adjustment, cables would have to be under a lot of pressure to pop clip off.
    Last edited by boats.net; 05-06-2014, 06:52 AM.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Honda Outboard Parts

Comment

control connections

Can you give me a description of how I should be adjusting control cable connections so the clips will stay on. In the past I have always adjusted shift cable so it easily goes on in neutral and the throttle cable I have adjusted so that in neutral gas is all the way off but not forced back. Thank you for your help.

Comment

That is correct adjustment, check for binding.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Honda Outboard Parts

Comment

Hate to disagree, but the 8D thru 20D models are set up differently.

You should manually shift the engine into forward (while rotating the prop by hand). Put the shifter in forward gear and full throttle.

Now adjust and connect the shift linkage at the engine. Once you do that....do the same for the throttle linkage, while it is still in full throttle.

If you connect when everything is in neutral, the shifting will either bind or the cables will disconnect

Whenever testing the shifting when the engine is not running, someone should be turning the prop by hand so that the gears and clutchdog do not jam up.

Mike

Comment

Working...
          X