9.9 honda oil leak

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9.9 honda oil leak

I have a 1989 honda 9.9 hp which has an oil leal I cannot locate and could use some help. There are no external signs of oil leakage at all and the only time a leak is evident is when the engine is in the water and running. When running, there is a clear layer of oil on the water. There are no indications of a gas leak, and since the oil level in the crankcase drops with running time, I conclude it is oil and not gasoline in the water. I can see no source for the leak so I assume it is probably a lower main crankshaft seal. No oil is leaking inside the engine compartment, nor is there any leakage from the exhaust or lower unit. I have taken the lower unit off and again no signs of oil. I am ready to remove the powerhead to see what I can find, but before I do, I am hoping for suggestions. This is a saltwater engine and I may create more problems than I already have by just trying to get it apart so I don't want to remove the powerhead unnecessarily.

Any help would be appreciated.

Run a leak down test on engine to see if leaking past rings. Remove power head and inspect seals.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Honda Outboard Parts

Comment

Not the answer I wanted to hear, but it is the one I suspected. I'll remove the powerhead and go from there. Thank you for the assistance.
      Last edited by BARBARA53; 12-28-2012, 04:24 PM. Reason: PUNCTUATION

Comment

9.9 oil leak

Ok, the powerhead is off and the bottom seal removed. I have the new seal and was going to put it in but there is a lip on the outside bottom of the seal that is going to make it a really tight fit to get into place. I'm sure I can hammer it in, but fearful that in doing so the lip on the seal is going to get torn off. It looks more like the crankcase housing has to be taken apart to comfortably get the seal into position. Am I correct, or can it be installed without separating the crankcase from the block?

Comment

The crankcase would have to be separated to replace crankshaft seal.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Honda Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
          X