BF225 Alarm going off only at idle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BF225 Alarm going off only at idle

We have a 2008 Honda BF225. I was doing the water pump in it because the last time it was out it was run across a sandbar and quit pumping. Soon after that the alarm went off. Replaced the water pump and thermostats and now pumps great water. Now when it is started it runs for 3 or 4 minutes and then the alarm goes off. There is no light being triggered at this time. I have not yet checked the temp of the motor but it is pumping great water and the water coming out is not hot. Any ideas would be great.

Just started and ran the motor again and checked the temp on the exhaust manifolds. They were reading the same on each side. The reading was around 58 degrees celcius on the top where the temp sensors are and about 20 degrees less on the bottom of the manifolds. The alarm is not constant it is roughly 2 seconds on and 2 seconds off.

Comment

another note that may or may not be helpful is that the port side exhaust is very black and the starboard side is perfectly clean. This has been going on for years.

Comment

Have you had the computer diagnosed, this will narrow your search dramaticaly. Check your onboard water fuel separator (under engine cowling). You may have water in the fuel.
        Regards
        Boats.net
        Honda Outboard Parts

Comment

I connected the scs service connector part number 070PZ-ZY30100 and it did not show anything wrong (one initial blink but none after that)

Comment

I just checked/drained the water separator on the motor and it looked perfect. Started the motor again after and the buzzer still went off.

Comment

Any input would be great

Comment

Start testing sensors. Best to do this while alarm is sounding.
                Regards
                Boats.net
                Honda Outboard Parts

Comment

Anyone have a link to a service manual for this motor so I can look up how to check all the sensors. I installed two new batteries and swapped out wire harness/switch panel and alarm still going off at idle so definately something elso going on.

Comment

Can get manuals at manuals, service items in Honda Power Equipment Publications store on eBay!
                    Regards
                    Boats.net
                    Honda Outboard Parts

Comment

Ok, so now even with the key off the alarm is steadily going off. And it even sounds like the coils are firing. Also something else in the front of the engine is clicking.

Comment

would the computer be thing only thing to cause a malfunction like this?

Comment

Now the alarm goes off even if the key is off and i can hear the coils firing. Also something else on the front of the motor is clicking. Any suggestions?

Comment

Check main relay, must be shorted out. Unhook battery cables to keep from damaging other components.
                            Regards
                            Boats.net
                            Honda Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
                            X