problem with 1999 bf90a

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem with 1999 bf90a

I have a 1999 bf90a honda that i purchased in October 2010. I purchased the motor from the original owner and is still on the original boat which is a 17 ft scout. i changed the spark plugs last year and the last two times i have carried the boat out ( this year ) i noticed that on several occasions when i got on the throttle hard the motor wanted to bog out ( cut out ). On one occasion the motor completely shut off. Also when i did get up to speed it sounded almost like it was cutting out for split seconds kind of like sputtering. I do have a racor water/fuel seperater filter. I wonder if i should replace the filter and also replace the feul filter inside the motor, and if this would probably fix the problem? thanks for any information

Could be a misfire, check spark on each cylinder with timing light at time it's running bad, could be a fuel problem, restriction in fuel hoses, filters or pickup in gas tank, could be dirty carbs or fuel pump, need to have fuel vacumn and pressure test run.
    Regards
    Boats.net
    Honda Outboard Parts

Comment

10-4 thank you for your help... i am not very mechanically inclined but i will take your advice and share it with my father in law who is mechanically more inclined than i am...

Comment

do yo carry the fuel filter for this motor and if you do how much is it? and do you carry a racor fuel filter s3227 and if so how much is it?

Comment

Number 2 in this link is fuel filetr, 1999 BF90AX LRTA Honda Outboard ENGINE LOWER CASE + ENGINE COVER Diagram and Parts
          Don't have the Racor, you can get it at your local dealer.
          Regards
          Boats.net
          Honda Outboard Parts

Comment

how can i tell exactly which motor i have? the only thing it says on my plate is bf90a and i noticed on this website there are a couple more letters on all the models showing for the 1999. also can my motor be hooked up to a computer and tell how many hours on it? i know on newer models you can but i think mine is too old. thanks

Comment

Select engine with serial number range that includes serial of your outboard. See chart at top of this forum for model codes.
              Regards
              Boats.net
              Honda Outboard Parts

Comment

can this model be hooked up to a computer and tell the hours?

Comment

Not the carb models just the fuel injected models.
                  Regards
                  Boats.net
                  Honda Outboard Parts

Comment

Working...
                  X